October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and as a company we are organising a variety of fundraising activities over the course of the month for our team to take part in to raise money for this very worthwhile cause. Any money we raise during the month will be matched by Cirdan.
Our Fundraising activities Include:
- Slieve Donard/ Tollymore Forest team hike/ walk, date TBC.
- 10K a day (walking, jogging, running)
- Read a book a week.
- Wear it Pink Day 21st October.
Our chosen Charity for the month is Breast Cancer Now, which is the UK’s largest Breast Cancer Charity and to date has invested over £243 million in Breast Cancer Research (Breast Cancer Now, 2021). Currently, they are funding over 80 cutting-edge projects worth just over £29 million to discover how we can prevent breast cancer, save lives, and help people to live well with and beyond the disease (Breast Cancer now, 2021).
If you would like to donate to our fundraising efforts, please visit our JustGiving Page here: https://www.justgiving.com/team/teamcirdan
Did you Know?
Every 10 minutes, someone in the UK is diagnosed with breast cancer. That’s around 55,000 women and 370 men every year.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer in the UK. One in seven women in the UK will develop the disease.
35,000 people are living with incurable secondary breast cancer. Every year, around 11,500 women and 81 men die from the disease.
About Breast Cancer Now
Breast Cancer Now is a charity in the United Kingdom which was formed in 2015 by the merger of Breast Cancer Campaign and Breakthrough Breast Cancer. It is the United Kingdom’s largest breast cancer charity. Its declared “Action Plan” is “by 2050, everyone who develops breast cancer will live” (Wikipedia, 2021).
Here are just some of the many remarkable achievements Breast Cancer Awareness have achieved over the years.
- They opened the UK’s first research centre dedicated entirely to breast cancer.
- They launched one of the world’s largest studies investigating causes of breast cancer.
- They established the UK’s first ever national breast cancer tissue bank, so that scientists can study real breast cancer samples.
- They are here to give hope for the future by discovering how to prevent breast cancer, save lives and help people to live well with the disease. (Breast Cancer Now, 2021)
For more information and support on the charity visit: https://breastcancernow.org/
Wear Pink Day 22nd October 2021
Breast Cancer Now’s flagship fundraising event is their ‘wear it pink’ campaign. This is one of the UK’s biggest fundraising events having raised over £33 million since it launched in 2002. This year Cirdan will proudly be supporting ‘Wear It Pink’ day to raise money for Breast Cancer Now and help fund the life changing research Breast Cancer now undertake every day.
For more information on how you can take part in wear pink day visit: https://breastcancernow.org/get-involved/do-your-own-fundraising/wear-it-pink